Tuesday, August 9, 2011

SCULPTURED CANVAS


18X24 on Wood

     This is part of a series of paintings I did as sculptured canvas.  I know the people of the area where Jesus walked,  must have had dark tanned skin.  When I was young, before sun screen we got dark during the summer.  Melanoma, was not even on our minds.  In this painting, I painted Jesus as I thought he should look.  These painting's were featured in the local news paper for Easter.  My 15 seconds of fame. 
20X30 Canvas
     Now, this is not the best photo, but as the paper put it.  "The faces seem to melt as Judas betrays Jesus with the kiss."  The sentries ear suspended in air as it falls, from a sword out of no where.  I started painting this way because, I wanted a blind person to see the story.  At the time I never seen any paintings done like this and felt it was unique. 
  
20X24 Canvas
     This one Thomas is sticking his finger into the side of Jesus, as the others look on.  As you will see in the next two paintings, the damage from the fire.  These and many others were lost in the fire, or put out in the shed.  We had to all live in a hotel for 5 months, that is a story in it's self.
26X45 Canvas
     This painting is heavy from the gypson and plaster.  The smoke is thick as you can see.  The  paintings are salvageable though.  I'm proud to put these in the blog damaged, to show that they survived.  They will not look the same when I re-do them.
25X25 Canvas
    In these paintings, the first one show little more than a foot stepping on a hand.  A Roman with a large hammer, and another with a shovel.  The passion of the Christ's suffering is felt though.  In the second, one guard seems to be getting up, and remittance of another guard is left behind.  The stone rolled away.  This next photo, is from the news paper clipping from the showing Easter Sunday.


     This one hangs in Church in Charleston, S.C..  It was there in the church before the fire, and safe.  I have done other paintings in this style.
   
     This large painting of a pelican, I painted to show the feeling of waking on the beach at night, a pelican a few feet away.  This painting hangs in a time share condo, Litchfield Beach, S.C..  Couple years later, as I was going to work.  A pelican had a stand off with me on the bridge, to Fripp Island.  Up close and personal, standing in the middle of the road untill dropping over the side and flying off.  I thought just then, that was just like my painting.  This is also the very first time I painted in this sculptured style.



16X20 Canvas
     In this painting I call the North Wind, I'm trying to see just how far I can push the limits.  The nose sticks out 2 inch off the canvas.  The pelican was the first, and this was the last that I painted  this way.  In these paintings I do not trying to preach, or tell you what to believe.  I'm showing this story, in a form that a vision impaired person view a painting.  During a show a child saw the paintings and new the story was from sun day school.  I thank-you for reading and looking at my blog.  I hope you enjoyed it.



14X18 Canvas


                                                                      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment