Thursday, August 18, 2011

"Freebird" an RV Adventure


    In September of 1998, I went down to Savanna Ga. and this caught my eye.  The job I signed on was coming to an end.  For 3 years I was working at Fripp Island,  after Forest Gump was filmed.  All that was winding down, and I have been moving around all my life.  This seemed like a good idea at the time.  When we went down there it was just to look around, you know, go down to River Street and stuff.  Most every thing we looked at was around 60 to 80 thousand dollars. Woe,  More than I got.  Then I saw this 1987 pace arrow being cleaned up for sale.  $18,000.00.  I knew it had me, when I open the door and the electric step slid out.  Kewl! 
    
   Inside, I sat down on the sofa while Susie and the salesman came in.  Moving over to the swivel chair behind the passenger chair, taking it all in.  Looking up at the drivers seat, thinking this is so awesome.  The whole time I was growing up, my father talked about traveling in a motor coach, and I'm sitting in one.  After looking the truck over I told the fella that I wanted to think about it. 
     We went to lunch,  excited at the mere thought of all this was overwhelming.  I even remember the restaurant we ate at; Red, White, and Blues.  We walked in with Blues memorabilia on the walls, and the best Bar-B-Q.  Bar-B-Q so good I bought a tub of it to go, with some special sauce.  Hard to believe that was 12 years ago this month.  Well, I guess I don't have to tell you, I bought that truck.  Susie hated me calling it a truck.  Funny thing is, I have always had a three day rule in my life.  Any time I spend a large amount of money I give it three days, to see if I really want it.  I went back to the RV place and wrote a check.  I told the sales man to hold the check for 3 or 4 days, I had to transfer some money.  Savanna is just over an hour from Beaufort, filled with so many thoughts, I don't remember driving home. 
      
 I made a good life for myself in Beaufort S.C. and now I'm thinking about leaving.  When I look back, I did all that in less that 3 years.  Talk about being in the right place at the right time, that was it.  I have never been able to top that one, but this next move comes close.  I didn't buy that motor coach to park in the yard, and use a couple times a year.  I was going to live in it.  Talk about a big yard sale.  I was going to have one.  Why?  You ask.  I have no idea.  My friends tell me all the time, "Man I wish I could go see stuff like you".  I have blamed my father being in the Air Force traveling.  I tell them I was born under a wondering star.  If I could, I'd do it again.  A week later..........
     
     I went down to pick it up, "Freebird" is the name I gave it, and the large window on the side, I call "Encarta".  From the encyclopedia that came with windows 95.  For the car we bought a trailer to pull behind.  When I went inside to get key, the sales man told me he won a free dinner.  How is that? I asked.  He said; You came in here last week with holes in your pants, painter cloths all faded.  They bet your check was no good.  Not every day a guy like you walks in and writes a check for $22,000.00.  Most people finance these with a house mortgage. 
When I got behind the wheel I felt like a truck driver on the interstate, checked the CB out, and it wasn't hooked up.  O-well.  They don't give driving lessons, and let me tell you driving this monster is scary.  I also know why all the cabinets have child proof catches on them.  It's not for kids, it is so the doors don't fly open while you're driving.  By the time I got to the house, I was ready to go traveling.  This is going to be so great.  Over the next month we sold out every thing.  Bought a laptop, but packed the desk top, printer, and scanner under the beds.  The laptop was 3" thick, the weight felt like 15 lbs., and got a new cell phone with a nationwide plan.  We were ready now, and the only thing I wish I had not sold was my hot rod F-100.  I love the pop of the pipes when the 289 thundered.  With a DVD of Map Quest we were off. 
     Well, I don't believe we did it.  Packed to the hilt with every thing we didn't sale.  Some stuff we plan to give to family, but this truck is ridding different than when it was empty.  First stop was outside of Charleston at a friend of Susie's.  The same person we got Midknight from.  Midknightreenville.  So, I moved it to the car behind the motor coach, it was already full with my painting.  I'm hoping right about now, this is not how I had things in mind.  A couple days later we are back on the road again.  This time stopping at Dogwood RV Park on hwy 25 about 20 miles, from Greenville.  We wanted to not be to close to the families till we kind a got use to it ourselves.
September and November are beautiful on hwy 25, outside of Greenville. It is the start of the Blue Ridge Mt.s here in South Carolina.  Leaving the Low Country and coming here and still in South Carolina.  Dogwood RV Park is owned by Bart and Donna.  They keep the leaves blow ed every day , in the fall this was a perfect start to RV'ing.  This is also where I learned about John Steinbeck.  A lady RV'er told my I was just like him traveling with a poodle.  I told her I didn't know about him.  She told me to read "Travels with Charlie". 
 
"Midknight Moonchild"
My traveling companion

     I enjoyed living in "Freebird" until a month or so after 911.  I never got tired of living in the truck, and wish I still had it.  The gas tank held 100 gallons of gas.  At times I wished I had bought a 5th wheel instead, because the truck stays parked for long periods.  I wish I still had all my money, for it is long gone.  Do I regret it?  Not one bit.  If I ever hit Lotto, I'll do it again.  I do have a lot of stories.  Freebird is just one, with a lot of chapters. 






No comments:

Post a Comment